Sunday, February 10, 2008

numfar, do the dance of shame.........

Ever feel like you're out of step with, like, everything? Apparently, when I wasn't looking, the following happened:

Joss Whedon (bow, you dogs!) had a show murdered by Fox.

I bought the Firefly box for Xmas and was completely blown away by it. I knew Joss was Boss through Buffy and Angel, but I couldn't believe that this series had been killed. The worse part is that is was cancelled in 2002! How did I not know? 5 years? I had heard a few comments on other websites but being based in the UK until very recently it had slipped me by. So now I have got to become a Browncoat - but am I too late?

Wil Wheaton started blogging, then apparently stopped
Look, say what you will about the CHARACTER Wesley Crusher (and believe me, I hated that CHARACTER as much as the next geek), I hope I never really believed that the ACTOR was anything like that. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

And what a witty guy Will turned out to be when I saw his blog on Wil Wheaton dot NET. His description of Star Wars Ubernerds queueing outside the wrong cinema in protest of the non-screening of 'Revenge of the Sith' still has me laughing ( see http://www.wilwheaton.net/mt/archives/003246.php). But guess what? It looks like that site hasn't been updated since 2005.

Still, he was also working for suicidegirls apparently, so I looked that up and 'horror!' he got the boot in Dec 2007 sonogo there.

England are not playing in the World Cup this year
Actually, I was all too aware of that, but it still sucks anyway. And yes, they play FOOTBALL, not soccer. Except they haven't been playing it very well. At all.

What else have I missed?
Now I'm a bit worried. I used to know all about geekdom, what was cool (relatively speaking), what was good, what I shouldn't waste my time on. But I must have taken my eye off the ball at some stage because there is so much I don't know - and even worse - lots of it happened a long time ago.

I need help
That much is obvious, but not for the reasons you're thinking (come on now, I could hear you from here!). What don't I know that I should? Why didn't I know about it? How can I make sure that I do know about it in the future without chaining myself to the 'net 24/7 (not necessarily a bad thing, but I got other stuff to do, too)?

I don't want to miss the last geek bus home so this is my SOS.

I need you to tell me what I didn't know about what's going on in the world that matters most - cybergeekspace.

3 comments:

  1. hey great job! i saw your question on answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Haley,

    Thanks for taking the time to read it and to comment! Answers is a really great way to find stuff out - I've still not found out what happened to the nerds though.....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please try this: http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete