Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Captain Kirk - Boldly Going Once, Twice...

Ready for a nostalgia-boost?

If so, take a look at the latest auction by Kids Need To Read. It features a photo of Captain James T. Kirk magnificently poised, gun in hand, ready to defend us all. Signed by William Shatner, this is truly a great collectors item. I must admit that seeing the picture conjured up some unexpectedly strong emotions in me. The beautiful uniform, the impressive size of the weapon, the intense look on Kirk's face all took me back to watching Star Trek with the family as a kid. Of course now I simply can't make myself view a single second of TOS (The Original Series), but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what a ground-breaking series it really was. Beam over to ebay and set your wallets to 'bid generously for a fantastic piece of TV history whose bid price will go to benefit many children' (catchy, huh?).



Zapp's vocalator
It also made me think fondly of Zapp Brannigan and his velour fetish. For my money, Futurama is the most consistently funny animated series there is, and I much prefer it to The Simpsons. For a good collection of Zap quotes you can try Ronan Campbell and to hear the man himself go to 'Can't get enough Futurama' for the Zapp and Kif Sound Board. Hopefully Zapp will be appearing in the next installment of Futurama 'The Beast with a Billion Backs', scheduled for release on DVD in June.


When I was looking up Kirk earlier I found this article - maybe not for those who have just eaten but very funny, all the same!

2 comments:

  1. LOL at "set your wallets to bid"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) well, it might not be as catchy as 'set phasers to stun', but it gets the message across...

    ReplyDelete