Friday, August 8, 2008

The Guild, BBtL, Whedonage and more....

Running to keep up! 
Well I don't know about you, but it's been a busy week over here. After waving goodbye to our visiting family at the weekend the house was feeling pretty empty (well, apart from my brood, of course) but luckily I've had plenty to keep me out of mischief. Isn't that good?

The Guild DVDs are on their way
Felicia and helpers (who included Sandeep 'Zaboo' Parikh) worked their way through boxloads of orders for The Guild, Season 1 and they are now all posted out. Have I mentioned my admiration for Ms Day and The Guild here before? Ok, then! So it's no surprise to know that I am ridiculously excited about getting this DVD. You can keep up with all thing Guild by going to WatchTheGuild.com or even using The Guild FriendFeed room.

Buffy Between the Lines - Season 2!
It's hard to believe the time has passed so quickly but Season 2 starts on Saturday 16th August. With lots of excitement to come this season make sure you check out the BBtL website for the full story - and don't forget that Lisa T debuts as Cordelia, which is certainly something to look forward to. And there is more news from the BBtL team, too, concerning Dr Horrible. Now, what could that be about? Check out this DragonCon post and then tell me if it doesn't make you go "Wow! I wish I was going to be there"!

More Whedonage posts to follow
I've also been hard at work on a followup to my Whedonage post about Comic Con. Yes, it's been a labour of love all right, but it's nearly ready to go up. It's going to be in 2 parts, though, because I just couldn't condense it down anymore. So many great people, so many great things to write about! And speaking of Whedonage, my exclusive interview with P J Haarsma (award-winning author of 'The Softwire' books and co-founder of 'Kids Need To Read' literacy foundation) has gone down very well. P J was kind enough to say he would do a follow-up interview so if you have any questions please put them in the comments and I can include them.

Reading for pleasure - and friends?
I've had the job of reading a draft of 'Save My Soul', a novel by Zoe Winters. Well, I say 'job', but there was a lot more pleasure than work involved! Writing is a strange beast and it's very hard to judge your own work. When Zoe asked for readers for her novel on her excellent blog recently I signed up straight away. After having to put it to one side while others things took precedence, I made the time this week to finish it and send some feedback to Zoe. Now, I'm not going to give any spoilers away but this is a very good read indeed. The story is well-paced and plotted, I really like Zoe's style and voice, and the ending really surprised me! The good news for all of us is that 'Save My Soul' is going to be Podcast, so as soon as a date is set for that I'll be blogging about it again. Thanks, Zoe - reading 'Save My Soul' was a pleasure!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Mary! I'm flattered that you liked it so much! Hopefully it'll be even better by the time I get to podcasting time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is this 'Mary' you are talking about? :)

    Zoe, I must say that once I had agreed to read for you I was then seized by fear - fear that I wouldn't be able to give any useful comments, fear that I was out of my depth, fear that I might not like it!! Luckily, I got over that pretty quickly once I started reading and I've got to say - I really enjoyed it! I think it takes a lot of courage to put your work out there for other people to critique and I can't wait for the Podcast. And as I said, if you can work in an English voice somewhere, I'll check my availability...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dammit, sorry. Ack, sorry.

    hehehe I'm actually quite sure with all those characters I can make one british. :P

    Actually I do have a brit in the novella I'm writing right now, so if it gets podcasted, you're in! :P

    Yeah I worry about the "might not like it" when I crit for someone too. No matter how much you like someone, until you read their fiction you just don't know if it's a match.

    And your comments were very helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete