Sunday, September 14, 2008

Scary Dollhouse News? And - Competition Time!

There was a ripple in The Force last week.
The news that Dollhouse, the new series by Joss Whedon starring Eliza Dushku (who is also an executive producer) has been put on a two week break. There was an interesting piece about why we should be nervous on TelevisionWithoutPity, which lists are the reasons why a break could spell trouble. While it's useful list I'm going to disagree. I don't think there is any reason to panic at all.

Why can't we panic? It's Fox, after all....!
AS I said, it's an interesting list but let us not forget a simple truth. This is a new show. Joss has already re-written the pilot so it is more immediately accessible, and now he wants to concentrate on getting the writing polished for the rest of the episodes. One thing we know about Joss is that he is the boss - and the writing is EVERYTHING. He's been working flat out for months now with Dr Horrible (yay!) and Dollhouse and I think the surprise is that he didn't call for a writing break earlier. Even with experienced and talented writers on the team Joss will want everything nailed down before shooting starts for these last episodes. Even in Dr Horrible there was no ad-libbing from the cast at all - what is written is what is shot. It won't do anyone any good speculating impending disaster and, in the end, it could put people off watching the show or giving it a chance. I think it's an excellent sign that there is a break, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And now [drum roll] a new competition!
We all love Dr Horrible and many of us are waiting, with little or no patience, for the Evil League of Evil to announce open season on applications. In the meantime I have been amusing myself (and a select few) with producing a webseries based around the ELoE's Application's Office.  The penultimate episode, Act V, was released last weekend and the final episode in this series will be out by next weekend. Due to popular demand (well, two people who are not related to me!) there will also be a blooper/extras reel. And this is where the COMPETITION comes in. If you win EvilWorldofHiglet will assess YOUR application to the Evil League of Evil in a special episode!

What you have to do:
  • Watch Act V and tell me the names of the book and DVDs in the background, on top of the printer. 
  • Send your entries to worldofhiglet at gmail dot com* before Friday 26th September 2008. If you want you can include a little about why you like Dr Horrible so much and even the name of your Evil Character and I will mention you on the blog. It couldn't be more simple! 
In the event of a tie (or more than 1 entry!) I will use a random number generator to determine the winner.

If you win:
  • I will email an Application Form to you (as featured in Act I) for you to fill in. If you also want to post a video entry on YouTube, Seesmic or elsewhere then please send me the link and I will use it as part of the assessment.
  • EvilWorldofHiglet will then assess your application in a special episode of 'The Evil League of Evil Applications Office' to be publicly available on YouTube.
  • The winner will also be announced here on the blog.
Excited? I am. I can't wait to see how you all get on...

* Please note: I am not going to spam you or pass on your email details, I hate spammers as much as you. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh drat. I can only make out two of them. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you can't make out the others - if others have a real problem I will publish a picture and/or clues...hint: what would a geek like me have to hand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're likely to have anything, from Watership Down and Winnie the Pooh to Dragon's Egg and StarQauke! Oh, sorry- that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good suggestions, but not nearly close :)

    ReplyDelete