Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Star Trek trailer (oh my!) and more films you need to know about

I will not be swayed 
I'm sorry, but I am hopeful and eager to see the new Star Trek film. We were discussing the new trailer (and many other lofty topics, of course) on The Guild chat last night. Some people are already gnashing their teeth about how the 'reimagining' has stomped over everything they hold dear and true. I understand this. The USS Enterprise, that most iconic of starships (well, that and the Millenium Falcon) has had a makeover and people are not a bit happy. 

But this is a new venture. If it was the same as The Original Series or even the older films then what would be the point? The problem stems from the fact that it isn't The Next, Next Generation, it's remaking TOS, and that makes it more than little tricky. But I want to see how they do it before I condemn it. I loved the new Battlestar Galactica and they made Starbuck a woman! What's your feeling about the new film?

And the new film has Simon Pegg in it as Scotty. I love Simon Pegg - he reminds me of Channel 4 on a Friday night, slumped on the sofa watching Spaced. And Big Train. Good, good times. And his films have been brilliant: Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz are in my DVD collection. I went to his IMDb page and saw how many great TV programs and films he's been in. Brilliant. Oh, and he's on Myspace, too.

JSto - I love you, too
Artemis Eternal. If you've been listening closely you will have heard me talk about this independent film before. And Jessica Stover (JSto) was on my list of people I'd queue to see at ComicCon. I follow her on Twitter and if you want the skinny about genius at work, you should try it, too. I didn't realise it until recently but it's people pushing the boundaries of creativity that I find the most interesting. Jessica is one of these people. Check out her websitethe Artemis website and her latest videos and you'll see what I mean. EpicFU made her Fu of the week and they get how great she is - you need to know about her now so you can say you knew all along how great it was going to be. Become a Wingman and make a difference.

Jathia's Wager - you can contribute
The prequel teaser trailer for a the new collaborative film, Jathia's Wager is now released. If you want to take part in creating a film then this is the project for you. There is a script and initial casting has been done but there is still plenty of time for you to get involved. Go to their site and find out how.

2 comments:

  1. YES YES YES I did see the ST trailer, and for someone who never really liked Star Trek, I imagine he's doing a decent enough job sticking to the essentials. For one Kirk is still a grandstanding bunghole, Spock looks like a mini-me of the original, and I can't wait to see the rest of the crew. Woo-freakin'-hoo. I have to say I have a JJ Abrams weakness... I even liked his stompy little cloverfield monsterkins and its deadly crotch-crickets.

    But honestly, I'm a hands-down Whedonaholic girl, and he makes GREAT TV (and I agree with him, Galactica is the best show ever made). Did you see Dr. Horrible?

    Anyway, I'm outie. Nice post. Good blog.. will follow (on my personal blog not this one...)

    Steph (aka the hungarican chick)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the trailer had me counting the days, too. And I'm very partial to Mr Whedon and all his works, so please feel free to browse. There's lots of Whedon-based info here and Dr Horrible? You could say I was a fan! So much so I made a webseries!

    Thanks for your comments and hope to see you again :)

    ReplyDelete