(The Guild "Do You Want To Date My Avatar" graphic from datemyavatar.com)
Phew - what a day Monday was!
If you were on Twitter yesterday you would have seen that #datemyavatar was on the trending topics most of the day, and with good reason. While the video was available on iTunes in the US and Canada late Sunday night, it rolled over the whole globe yesterday, crushing all in it's path. Twitter was again a-buzz with news and comments about The Guild. And I'd like to point out I started writing this last night but more news came in, then some more and then....well, it didn't get done. So, to make it easy on me (and perhaps you, too) here's a brief list of the highlights.
- Before 9:00 AM I check and "..Avatar.." is #13 in iTunes, Canada for music videos
- 10:08 AM @theguild tweets: "#datemyavatar is #6 in top 100 iTunes pop music videos & #19 in all music videos (US). Let's get #1."
- 10:44 AM @theguild tweets: "Contest time! Please tweet an "avatar pickup line" with#datemyavatar and a link http://bit.ly/datemyavatar" Prizes include shirts, autographed cast photo and SDCC goodies
- 1:17 PM @theguild tweets: "Wow - #datemyavatar is almost #1 on iTunes for all music videos... Guildies rule http://bit.ly/itunesvideo"
- 23:02 CET Joss Whedon posts this comment on a thread about the video on Whedonesque:
"Okay, usually I stay above such matters. But this video must be number one!!! Who is this Taylor Swift? Some evil robot, PROBABLY. (Although an evil robot vid would also potentially be cool.) (But fine! She can be number two!) The point is, I love this video to distraction (and inevitable procrastination). It has Felicia -- and money! Felicia LYING IN money! Combo-ed! Plus Vork, turkey legs, and the Solid Guild dancers! I care!And I'm hobbled here, peeps. I don't twitter (I occasionally Glitter and Be Gay, but that's it), can't digg, or favorite, or friend... In fact I don't understand why my typewriter has a TV on it. I'M NOT SAVVY. But I really want this to be big. It's indie (which is the most important part), it's awesome, and it's made by people that I friended in the old-fashioned way of being friends with them. (Okay, technically, I brothered Jed before I friended him, but he's still super-talented.) So help me out. Let's go the extra mile here and DESTROY THE SWIFTBOT! Then I can get back to the business of making Dollhouse stranger.
Digg deep, people.
- 3:09 PM @feliciaday tweets: "LOL Joss Whedon just posted a hilarious comment in this thread http://bit.ly/10jDv9 supporting us getting to #1 iTunes. #datemyavatar"
- 3:17 PM @feliciaday tweets: "Whoops, I just broke Whedonesque. Eep? AMAZON MP3:http://bit.ly/avatarsong ITUNES VIDEO:http://bit.ly/itunesvideo #datemyavatar"
- 3:37 PM @feliciaday tweets: "OMG you guys we're #1 in US (and Canada) now!http://bit.ly/itunesvideo Joss' call to arms against the "Swiftbot" worked, LOL! #datemyavatar"
- 4:09 PM @theguild tweets:"iTunes screen shot #datemyavatar hitting no. 1 - thanks Guildies for the support http://www.twitpic.com/eagb1"
- 7:33 PM @sandeepparikh tweets: "just watched it again and am SO DAMN proud of @feliciaday@kimevey @drhorrible & @theguild so i'm posting it again:http://bit.ly/avatarsong"
- 8:42 PM @feliciaday tweets: "Thx you guys, what a day, I'm blown away by all the support. Still can't believe we got to #1 over all the mainstream stuff :)#datemyavatar"
Now, I could go on. Seriously, yesterday was a real shift in paradigms and we were part of it. Those paradigms - all changed (and one day I'll learn what that word actually means!). Dani tweeted yesterday: "Is it weird that I, being just a fan, am so so so SO proud of @theguild right now? @feliciadayshould rule the world. Really. #datemyavatar" If it's weird then I'm weird too, because that's how I felt - proud.
And as a consequence of The Guild conquering all there is a metric crapload of blog posts from all over the interwebs. Luckily there's a neat way to view them all by looking at Friendfeed.
So many great posts...but I'll leave the last word to the one true b!x who posted this lovely little video this evening. The future is here, and you saw it first on an iPhone: