Friday, January 8, 2010

Seth Harwood makes me a winner!




It's true - I'm a winner!
I tweeted earlier this week that I was one of the winners in a competition that Seth Harwood is running. Seth is an accomplished and successful writer/podcaster of the gritty crime thriller "Jack Wakes Up" and a new short story collection "A Long Way from Disney". He has been an inspiration to me when I writing and  thinking about podcasting "Turning Left at Albuquerque". I've been quiet about it since because I've been doing some Very Serious Thinking and I wanted to choose the right prize.

A competition?
The competition is still running and is very simple - and the prizes are brilliant! From Seth's website:


"The Contest works like this:There are two giveaways--on Wednesday 1/9 and Weds 1/16.
Each week there will be two winners, who'll have the choice of three prizes:
1) signed Breakneck Books copy of JWU—the first printing! A collector’s item.
2) Original marked manuscript pages of JP2 or a short story by me.
Or 3) A consult on a short story or chapter of a novel you’re writing/working on.
To play: blog about the Disney Kindle release and chart rush to help spread the word. If you don’t have a blog, the equivalent of a blog post is deemed adding the info as a facebook or twitter status update for two days out of a given week. Be sure to put this link to Amazon into your post."

What to choose?
With a great selection of prizes I've been torn about which one to select. I'd love the signed book or manuscript pages because they would be prized possessions for me and a piece of writing history. BUT...the chance to have an experienced writer and teacher look at a chapter of my work is too good a chance to pass up.

After podcasting over three quarters of "Turning Left at Albuquerque", I know it needs to be restructured and edited. I love the story and characters but it's too long to have any chance of being published. I've got a really clear plan of what to do and with everything I've learned in the year since I started writing it, I think it's going to be fantastic. And now I get the chance to put my revised first chapter to the test.

Thank you, Seth, for this opportunity!

Why don't you see if you can be a winner, too? Then when you post a picture of you holding your signed copy of "Jack Wakes Up" I can tell you how jealous I am - but I'll still know I chose the right prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment